|| Camp Excel
is the centerpiece of all Growth & Development Services (GDS)
programs. Camp Excel is a week-long, therapeutic and recreational
sleep-away camp that gives teenagers the opportunity to acquire new
skills, make new friends, and learn more effective ways to cope with
their challenges. The relaxed and supportive Camp environment helps
teens to address their daily challenges with greater focus and less
Some unique aspects of Camp Excel are:
- Extensive pre-camp home-visits by GDS staff to introduce each
camper and their family to Camp Excel and The Excel Program, as
well as to assess each teen's needs and ways GDS staff can best
meet those needs.
- Individualized self-improvement goals for all campers to work
towards throughout the week.
- The high staff-to-camper ratio at Camp Excel of better than 1:2,
which provides campers with the attention they need and deserve.
- Daily therapeutic workshops and rap sessions that address important
teen issues such as peer pressure, decision-making, violence, difficulty
with authority, drugs/alcohol use, as well as mental, physical and
sexual health issues.
- The wide variety of sports and other activities, which includes
but is not limited to: photography, boating, swimming, fishing,
arts & crafts, basketball, soccer, volleyball, golf, softball,
hiking, meditation, dance, a ropes challenge course, computers,
theater arts, a carnival and a talent show.
- A focus on teamwork and sportsmanship during all activities.
||"While at Camp I have learned a lot
of things that would come up in the "real world".
I learned what the consequences were of my actions, and how
to deal with my anger in a good way...I would love to come back
because right now I am having the happiest time of my life!"
--A GDS Teen
See more testimonials.